According to the National Fire Protection Association, there were more than 1.3 million reported fires in the United States in 2015. They resulted in 3,280 civilian deaths and 15,700 civilian injuries, totaling $14.3 billion in property damage. To protect your property and family in Monticello, Illinois, this holiday season, follow these safety tips.
Prevent Fire Hazards When Decorating
There are plenty of risk factors when you decorate your home for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. You might start a fire without even knowing it. While a brilliant light arrangement is beautiful to look at, it shouldn’t cost a life.
- Purchase the freshest Christmas tree possible and water it daily.
- Avoid using candles unless you’re present to look after them closely.
- Hang only electrical lights and decorations that have been approved for safe use.
- Inspect electrical lights and decorations for cracked sockets, bare wires or loose connections.
- Avoid plugging too many electrical lights and decorations into a single outlet.
- Consider buying LED lights, and don’t connect more than three strands together.
- Keep pets and children away from electrical lights and decorations, or hang them out of reach.
- Ensure electrical lights and decorations are made for outdoor use, keeping them away from snow or water.
Important: Turn off all indoor and outdoor electrical lights and decorations before leaving home or going to sleep.
Keep a Watchful Eye On Your Fire
With the weather in Monticello becoming colder, you’re likely tempted to light a fire. You might use your fireplace, a fire pit in your yard or scatter candles around your home. When lighting anything, make sure you keep an eye on it until you extinguish it. Never light a candle or your fireplace and walk away from it. That’s asking for a horrific holiday.
Do you need help with your electrical equipment? Contact Mattex Heating Cooling Plumbing and Electrical today at 217-762-2611. Our expert electricians are standing by to help you have a safe holiday season.